Students can choose any of the majors offered by the Department of Biology and at the same time pursue the pre-medical curriculum. There is considerable overlap between these requirements and all of the majors offered through the Department of Biology.
Students should pay particular attention to fulfilling both the degree requirements and the recommendations of medical schools. These requirements are described more fully at the Pre-health Studies website. The pre-med curriculum typically consists of:
- One year of Biology with laboratory (usually BIOL-103/113 and -104/114
- One year of General Chemistry with laboratory (CHEM-001/009 and -002/010)
- One year of Organic Chemistry with laboratory (CHEM-115/117 and -116/118)
- One year of Mathematics (MATH-035 and MATH-036 or -040)
- One year of Physics with laboratory (PHYS-041 or -101, -042 or -102)
Please note that these requirements are changing and many medical schools now look for applicants who have also taken Biochemistry, Psychology, and Writing.