All second-year Biology majors must declare one of the four majors in the department. Second-year students who are undeclared or are considering changing majors may also declare and are not at a disadvantage. Interested transfer students or third-year students can apply at the same time as the second-year students, but pay close attention to point 2 below to make sure that the program can be completed.
The "Call for Applications" will be issued in September with the "Application Deadlines" occurring in early October. The decisions will be announced prior to pre-registration for spring courses. Please see the departmental calendar linked from "Events" from the homepage for specific dates.
Complete the Google form to declare your major; this link will become available in September each year. In addition you must e-mail to the Director of the apropriate major the following:
- An essay of not more than 250 words explaining your rationale for this declaration, including a description of experiences (academic, professional, or personal) that have influenced your decision to pursue the chosen Biology major. Please also provide insight into your future career aspirations and detail how a focused major will subserve them.
- A sample four-year plan of your education, including courses relevant to your major- both core and elective requirements- and other programs (i.e. premed) or minors (i.e. theology) that you are completing. Use the color-coded four-year plan provided for each major as a template.
You may check this plan with your Dean prior to submission, although this is not necessary. You can also send questions to the Directors of the appropriate majors:
- Director of the Biology major, Prof. Jennifer Fox (202-687-6549; firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Director of the Biology of Global Health major Prof. Heidi Elmendorf (202-687-9883; email@example.com).
- Director of the Environmental Biology major Prof. Martha Weiss (202-687-1822; firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Director of the Neurobiology major, Prof. Thomas Coate (202-687-9143; email@example.com).
- Director of Undgraduate Studies, Prof. Anne Rosenwald (202-687-5997; firstname.lastname@example.org).